Review policy

Due to time pressures, I am unable to commit to reviewing books at the moment. However, please feel free to recommend or discuss by tweeting @MsTick68 or commenting on here. Thank you!

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Illustrated Year 5- Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak


I was saddened to hear today of the death of Maurice Sendak. His In The Night Kitchen delighted me as a child, mainly because I was fascinated by the boy's lack of pyjama bottoms (I had no brothers!) Where The Wild Things Are is his book that I used the most as a teacher. The story of Max, who puts on his wolf suit and creates mischief of one kind or another until his exasperated mother sends him to bed has been a sensation since it was published in the early 60s. Why is it still so popular today? Well, I think it speaks to adults and children in a profound way. Children experience emotions that sometimes seem too big for them; the Wild Things that Max encounters, with their terrible teeth and terrible claws, could be seen as the anger that he can't contain; only when he becomes king of all Wild Things, tames them and sends them to bed without supper can he realise that he misses his mother and wants to go home where he finds forgiveness and love. I have read this story again and again to children with emotional and behavioural issues; even big boys of 9 loved to lie on a bean bag, leaning against me and cuddling a toy Wild Thing as I read it to them. Goodbye Maurice Sendak, you are much missed.

Here is a video clip of the book being narrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment