Review policy

Due to time pressures, I am unable to commit to reviewing books at the moment. However, please feel free to recommend or discuss by tweeting @MsTick68 or commenting on here. Thank you!

Monday 16 April 2012

An Illustrated Year 4: Fragoline and the Midnight Dream by Clemency Pearce and Rebecca Elliot

Image: libraries.midlothian.gov.uk

I returned from the wonderful Federation of Children's Book Groups yesterday, full of happiness, inspiration and fabulous books! One of the most inspiring seminars I attended was with a panel including Rebecca Elliot on representations of disability in children's books. I will return to this subject at a later date; however, I fell in love with Rebecca's illustrations, and came across this book, illustrated by her and written by Clemency Pearce.

Fragoline and the Midnight Dream is the story of a little girl who is "bright and clean... pure as milk and good as gold" until midnight strikes, when she puts on a black velvet cape, skipping, running and rolling outside while the moon looks down, telling her to go to bed. Fragoline responds:

"I'll do exactly as I please!
I'm Fragoline!" she said.

The text is rhythmical and rhyming, and apparently was initially written as a poem. It is definitely a book for sharing with a child rather than one for early readers; the vocabulary is occasionally challenging- it reminds me a lot of the wonderful Quentin Blake book Mr Magnolia in this respect. The pictures are beautiful; detailed and rich, and Fragoline's mischievous face is delightful. Clemency Pearce is a new writer to look out for, and I'll definitely be seeking out more of Rebecca Elliot's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment